Old Skool Cafe (OSC) is a faith-based, violence prevention program that provides job training,
employment, and a second chance at life by way of a jazz restaurant run by at-risk, formerly incarcerated, and foster care youth ages 16-22.
The General Manager (GM) is responsible for all operational aspects of the restaurant and training program. The General Manager will oversee all planning, organizing, training, and financial aspects of the restaurant. He/she will have full working knowledge of all systems, policies and procedures in accordance with state laws and regulations.
We are looking for restaurant leaders with a sharp focus on hospitality and a desire to work with at-risk youth. Old Skool provides a fast paced, dynamic workplace with the resources necessary to help you teach, mentor and manage. At the end of the day, you will know you have made a difference in a young person's life.
The critical deciding factor for a GM to join OSC will be the fit with the vision, mission, and values of the organization. We are seeking a professional with a broad skill set in management and the passion to use those skills to make life-long impact in the lives of youth.
To this end the GM will primarily:
• Daily restaurant operations with a focus on flawless execution, increasing profit, and enhancing the guest experience.
• Promote teaching and learning environment.
• Since our program is centered on an evening supper club, be present at the restaurant
during open hours including closing (completed by 10:30pm) Tuesday - Saturday.
• Model and maintain a level of service and hospitality that proudly reflects the core values of
the organization and implement all policies, procedures, standards, specifications,
guidelines and training programs; be a dynamic leader and role model.
• In collaboration with the OSC leadership team, recruit, interview and select well-qualified
• Ensure all program-restaurant staff receives orientation and appropriate training in
accordance with organizational standards.
• Achieve set objectives in sales, service, quality, appearance of facility and sanitation and cleanliness through training of managers and creating a positive, productive working environment.
• Maintain a positive relationship and facilitate open lines of communication among the entire program-restaurant team.
• Maintain professional image of restaurant, including proper uniforms and appearance.
Company Conformance Statements:
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
● Willingness to embrace and cultivate a culture conducive to positive youth development.
● Commitment to the double bottom line of positive financial and social outcomes of Old Skool Café as a thriving social enterprise.
● Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
● Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers.
● Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
● Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
We’re looking for a uniquely gifted leader who is curious, very teachable, highly professional, humble and confident, emotionally intelligent. And since this position requires a broad base of skills and experience, the professional qualifications we’re looking for are:
• Ability to partner and build relationships with management, colleagues and vendors while demonstrating leadership and integrity and promoting team success.
• At least five years of experience in FOH operations and/or management positions.
• Unfailing work ethic.
• Experience training, mentoring and motivating youth with no prior work experience.
Old Skool Café (OSC) offers a positive, meaningful work environment that values each person’s uniqueness and contribution. At OSC, you will make a positive and lasting difference in the world. OSC also offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including health, vision, and dental coverage, generous paid time off, and numerous professional development opportunities.
Applications, which will be reviewed as received, must include a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, and your resume in Word or PDF format. Please send to email@example.com. Position open until filled.
No telephone calls, please.