Old Skool Cafe (OSC) is a faith-based, violence prevention program that provides job training,
employment, and a second chance at life by way of a jazz restaurant run by at-risk, formerly incarcerated, and foster care youth ages 16-22.
The Assistant Manager (AM) is a key member of the OSC team, helping lead the operations of a restaurant that serves as the platform for youth training and mentoring.
The AM is responsible for working closely with the Executive Program Director (EPD) in managing all operational aspects of the restaurant and training program. The AM will oversee all planning, organizing, training and financial aspects of the restaurant. He/she will have a full working knowledge of all systems, policies and procedures in accordance with state laws and regulations.
The critical deciding factor for an AM to join OSC will be the fit with the vision, mission, and values of the organization. We are seeking a professional with a broad skill set in management and the passion to use those skills to make life-long impact in the lives of youth.
To this end the AM will primarily:
• Manage the front of house restaurant staff as a cohesive, integrated team. Promote a
teaching and learning environment; lead, train, motivate and mentor adult and youth staff.
• Supervise front of house restaurant team and provide leadership through effective
coaching, training, objective setting, feedback, recognition, delegation, and communication
(Being an effective, organized, and detail-oriented manager is key to your success).
• Since our program is centered on an evening supper club, be present at the restaurant
during open hours including closing (completed by 10:30pm) Tuesday - Saturday.
• Model and maintain a level of service and hospitality that proudly reflects the core values of
the organization and implement all policies, procedures, standards, specifications,
guidelines and training programs; be a dynamic leader and role model.
• In collaboration with the EPD and OSC leadership team, recruit, interview and select well-
qualified program-restaurant staff.
• Helps ensure direct reports receive appropriate training in accordance with organizational
• Achieve set objectives in sales, service, quality, appearance of facility and sanitation and
• Maintain professional image of restaurant, including proper uniforms and appearance.
Reporting to the EPD, the AM assists the EPD in overall supervisory responsibility for restaurant operations staff, specifically supervising the Floor Manager and Bartender.
Company Conformance Statements:
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
● Willingness to embrace and cultivate a culture conducive to positive youth development.
● Commitment to the double bottom line of positive financial and social outcomes of Old Skool Café as a thriving social enterprise.
● Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
● Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers.
● Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
● Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
We’re looking for a uniquely gifted leader who is curious, very teachable, highly professional, humble and confident, emotionally intelligent. And since this position requires a broad base of skills and experience, the professional qualifications we’re looking for are:
• A Bachelor's degree preferred but not required. Equivalent professional experience will also be considered.
• Five (5) or more years experience in front-of-the-house operations and/or management
• Strong organizational abilities including planning, development and task facilitation.
• Experience training, mentoring and motivating youth with no prior work experience.
• Ability to partner and build relationships with management, colleagues and vendors while
demonstrating leadership and integrity and promoting team success.
• Proficiency in Google Docs and or Excel.
• Food Manager's card (preferred not required). Food Handler's card (required).
Old Skool Café (OSC) offers a positive, meaningful work environment that values each person’s uniqueness and contribution. At OSC, you will make a positive and lasting difference in the world. OSC also offers a competitive compensation ($45,000 - $60,000 DOE) and benefits package including health, vision, and dental coverage, generous paid time off, and numerous professional development opportunities.
Applications, which will be reviewed as received, must include a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, and your resume in Word or PDF format. Please send to email@example.com. Position open until filled.
No telephone calls, please.